Tuesday 3 November 2020

Sri T N Krishnan - Jingle Bells Forever!!!

I still remember those moments very vividly. A Virtuoso in front of my eyes with his eternal, never-fading smile on his face, voice and of course, his Violin.

Sri TN Krishnan is someone whom we feel like the most adorable thatha (grandpa) in our family, whose music feels so close to heart, almost like the childhood swing that one never loses memory of. Somewhere deep inside the heart, everyone has their own favorite moments of childhood, moments of pure and endless joy. The culmination of all those limitless, pure joys is what it feels like, when one listens to his music.

My life has blessed me with a few but immeasurable moments in meeting some of the greatest Personalities of this era. Meeting Sri T N Krishnan mama is one of my most cherished moments. Till then I only "heard Him" and about him - Listening to his CDs, cassettes and also some interesting stories my mother and grandfather narrated about his concerts in Andhra. I met him during my middle school days when he came to our Steel plant, Visakhapatnam for a music festival organized by my father. Krishnan mama has this incredible aura around him. The grace and modesty with which he treated all of us, is just unimaginable, considering his stature.

Naadbhed was a blessing to me. All of us the participants, happened to perform in front of Star musicians. Musicians whom we just heard of, saw on national channels, whose music got eternalized in Akashavani Sangeeta Sammelan, were sitting in front of us as our judges. My entire first day, I was filled with disbelief. I could not believe that my music will be heard by the best musicians this earth ever saw.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb_isG6WTc4

In the above episode, one can see the participants and the judges enjoying Sri Krishnan mama's Shankaraabharanam. I remember every svaram he played. It is etched in my memory forever. His Shankaraabharanam makes you forget all the sorrows in life, absolving you of all sins and grant you the bliss called "Brahmaanandam"!

By the time he finished his performance, I have totally forgotten that I was in the final round of a competition and he would be judging my performance. When I was asked to sit on the same stage and perform, You can imagine how insignificant & insufficient I must have felt, in front of such Maha Vidwan.

I cannot accept the reality that, I cannot meet him again, hear his violin live again, specially on the mornings of every Christmas at The Music Academy where he used to play Jingle Bells right after the most beautiful Neelambari / Shankaraabharanam to a hall filled with Musicians & Rasikas!

Here is a video  from His last Music Academy performance (Dec 2019) - the Standing Ovation from the Audience!

He remains immortal with his music & the magnanimity with which he lead his life.

Let this Shankaraabharanam guide me. Even if a fraction of his music could be absorbed and inspire my music, I would consider my life to be Saarthakam (fulfilled).



No comments:

Post a Comment